The British High Commission Pretoria maintains and develops relations between the UK and South Africa, Lesotho and Swaziland.

Urgent assistance

If you are in South Africa and you need urgent help (for example, you have been attacked, arrested or someone has died), call +27 12 421 7500. If you are in the UK and worried about a British national in South Africa, call 020 7008 1500.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you are abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you cannot get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, here:

If the person needing the emergency travel document is under 16, a parent or guardian should apply on their behalf.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact the British High Commission Pretoria here:, as soon as possible

If you are travelling in more than 3 weeks, check if you can get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, here:

If you are not a British citizen or have not had a British passport before

If you are not sure, check if you are a British citizen here:

If you are not a British citizen but think you may be eligible, contact the British High Commission Pretoria to apply for an emergency travel document here:

Once you have contacted them, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British High Commission Pretoria, here:!/british-high-commission-pretoria/issuing-an-emergency-travel-document/slot_picker

Notarial and documentary services

For legal reasons, the British High Commission are unable to carry out notarial acts in Commonwealth countries. This includes certifying documents as true copies of originals, administering oaths or taking affidavits. For these or other notarial acts, you should contact a local notary, see here: A standard letter is available to confirm they do not offer these services in South Africa.

We offer a limited range of documentary services. See the list of documentary services we provide here:

Consular fees

The British High Commission charge fees for some of their services. See the full list of consular fees in South Africa here:

They also provide services in Cape Town, see here for more details:

Contact Form